Historic site and monument Viviers
Intended for the education of the priests of the diocese, the first seminary was on the square Saint-Jean near the Cathedral. The current seminary was built downtown in 1777 for the religous order of Saint-Sulpice according to the plans of the architect Lustrou.
It consists of a central building completed in 1785 and a left wing partially built around the same period. The right wing, built in 1827, holds the chapel and the library. This enormous building has an austere architecture and has practically no decoration. The floors are joined by a monumental staircase. During the French Revolution, it was used as a state prison. In 1806 the Abbé Vernet bought the building. Father Charles de Foucault was ordained in the chapel of the Grand Séminaire in June 1901. Since 1977, there are no longer seminarians in Viviers. Today the building is used for meetings, training and conventions.
1 Place Riquet
DD (decimal graduation)
latitude : 44.48389200
longitude : 4.68718200
From 01/01 to 31/12/2018, daily.
Closed exceptionally on January 1st and December 25th.