Former episcopal palace

Historic site and monument Viviers

Town hall since 1986. Now occupied by the town council, the Bishop's palace is without a doubt the most important building from the XVIIIth century in the town. An imposing building located outside of the town walls.

The work of the Avignon architect Jean-Baptiste Franque, construction began on the Bishop's palace in 1731 for Mgr François Renaud de Villeneuve. With its courtyard and garden, it looks like a very large private mansion. On the whole the décor is simple, the architect having chosen to put the emphasis on the reception rooms. The hall has no decoration apart from its large vault, constructed like a fan vault. Tge modest hal contrasts with the ostentatious salon à l'italienne, which is the master room of the Bishop's palace. The paintings on the walls combine religious and non-religious themes. The emphasis is on the 8 paintings in shades of grey-green representing scenes from the old testament, inspired by the Vatican tapestries.

Address

2 Avenue Mendès France
07220 Viviers

locate on a map

GPS coordinates

DD (decimal graduation)

latitude : 44.48016400

longitude : 4.69120500

Open

All year round, daily.

Prices

Free access.

Former episcopal palaceSalle ItalienneSalle ItalienneSalle ItalienneSalle ItalienneSalle ItalienneSalle à litalienneSalle à litalienneFaçadeFaçadeFormer episcopal palaceFormer episcopal palace