You come for the day or some hours and would like to go on adventure in the Ardèche? Or maybe you would like a quieter experience in harmony with the natural environment?Here you can find our proposals of strolls and activities for a well-deserved break!
Yomping in the Ardèche Gorges
Many trails await for you, with different levels of difficulties and starting points.
On your own
For a short walk of a few hours, we recommend:
- The ‘Gateway to the Ardèche Gorges’ hike’ starting from Saint-Martin-d’Ardèche
- The hikes in the book ‘Topo-guide des Gorges de l’Ardèche’ sold in the tourist offices of Saint-Martin-d’Ardèche, Larnas, Bourg-Saint-Andéol et Vallon-Pont-d’Arc.
Accompanied by a nature tour guide of the reserve
Throughout the year, the ‘Syndicat de Gestion des Gorges de l’Ardèche’ and the tourist offices on the Ardèche Gorges organise themed discovery strolls.
On the historic hiking trail along the Ardèche Gorges
Experienced hikers, the historic hiking trail along the Ardèche Gorges is for you: you hike 22 kms during 2 days in the heart of the Ardèche Gorges! You can start either from Vallon-Pont-d’Arc or Saint-Martin-d’Ardèche. For the whole hike, you must sleep at one of the two bivouacs in the Nature Reserve: Gaud or Gournier, because wild camping is forbidden.
Down the Ardèche river with a canoe, kayak or paddleboard
Several trips are possible:
- Initiation from and on the water surface of Sauze in Saint-Martin-d’Ardèche: for one or several hours, discover the Ardèche Gorges quietly with a canoe, kayak, or a paddleboard
- 6 km: from Saint-Martin-d’Ardèche to Saint-Just-d’Ardèche: a few hours of descent to get the highest thrills!
- 8 km: From Salavas to Châmes: pass under the bridge ‘Pont d’Arc’!
- 24 km: From Châmes to Saint-Martin-d’Ardèche: you enter directly into the Nature Reserve and cross the Ardèche Gorges entirely. This descent can be done in one or two days with an overnight stay at the bivouac.
- 30 km: From Vallon-Pont-d’Arc to Saint-Martin-d’Ardèche: it is the same as the 24-km-trail, but you leave from upstream and pass under the bridge ‘Pont d’Arc’! Anovernight stay at the bivouac is necessary.
- 55 km: From Saint-Maurice-d’Ardèche to Saint-Martin-d’Ardèche.
The descent of the Gorges de l’Ardèche is accessible from the age of 7, provided that you can swim. You can also do it with a tour guide.
For a 2-day descent, book your canoe descent and your overnight stay at the bivouac thanks to our ‘Canoë tranquille et bivouac zen’ stay!
Drive or ride on the tourist route and stop at the belvederes
By car,motorbike or bike for sportier people, the Nature Reserve of the Ardèche Gorges can also be visited on a scenic route following the river meanderings. 11 belvederes with facilities between Saint-Martin-d’Ardèche and Vallon-Pont-d’Arc offer magnificent views of breathtaking landscapes. By driving or riding in the river’s direction, along the cliffs, you will get absolute delight and sensations.
Swimming at an equipped beach
The Ardèche Gorges also means swimming! You will find equipped beaches in Saint-Martin-d’Ardèche labelled as ‘Blue Flag’ beaches, and in Saint-Just-d’Ardèche. This label ensures a remarkable water quality and promotes a respectful behaviour towards nature. These beaches are also supervised in the summer to ensure the security of everyone.